Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Cotton"

"Cotton" was the nickname my memaw had from the time she was a little girl...and it stuck with her for her entire life. In fact we used to call her Memaw Cotton. She got this name because she used to have really blonde hair when she was little, so blonde in fact that it looked as white as cotton! She was born Dec. 12, 1920 as one of 8 children and entered into the presence of Christ Feb. 24, 2010...almost exactly 6 years after her husband...my papaw Joe, after which she was never really the same. Its hard to imagine life now without any grandparents. Beginning in 2004 I've lost a grandparent every other year up until now. I loved growing up with 4 grandparents who were always so loving and set such an amazing example of what godly people should be. When I was growing up my grandparents lived about 5 minutes apart which made it really easy to visit both of them pretty easily each time we drove down to see them...not to mention the good times at Thanksgiving and Christmas! My memaw would always make too much food and was such a servant anytime anyone needed more :) I remember she always had her fridge stocked with yummy stuff like sweet tea (which was amazing)and homemade cookie dough! When I was growing up she was such a good buddy! Whenever I would spend a week at her house she would always be such a good sport and play whatever I wanted. She would even let me bandage her up with ace bandages when I wanted to play dr. She never hesitated to get down on the floor with us kids and play just like she was one of us, she even jumped on my trampoline at the age of 70 when I got one for Christmas... I think that is a testimony to her adventurous/tom-boy like personality...yet she carried herself like such a lady! She also had an amazing sense of humor which is probably one of the best things I will miss about her. I am sad that she is no longer here, but also kind of jealous that she gets to be with Christ right now and worshipping him forever! Below is a picture of me when I was about 2 or 3 with my Memaw Cotton.

No comments: