Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My 2 Sons...

Just about every woman dreams of becoming a mom to at least one little girl.  A little girl with whom she can dress up, play tea party, and share what it is to be a Proverbs 31 woman.  I am not excluded from this group of women.  While there were some selfish reasons for wanting a girl, the big bows, the pink frilly dresses, the cute shoes and the fun princess toys. However, there is more to raising a girl that just the fun pink frills. But from a Biblical standpoint, I wanted to raise a "Ruth" or an "Esther."   This was not God's plan for me or for Spencer.  I will admit to some initial disappointment and tears when we were told about little boy #2.  A large mixture of emotions were running through me, you name it, I felt it!  Yet here are people, even friends all around me begging God for just one child, or having children with missing limbs, or some sort of disablitliy...and here I was with a HEALTHY SECOND child, crying because I didn't get what I wanted.  "MANY PLANS ARE IN A MAN'S HEART, BUT THE COUNSEL OF THE LORD WILL STAND." -Proverbs 19:21  After a few hours of grieving, I was thanking God outloud in the car on the way home for another HEALTHY little boy!  This is what God had in mind for our family...to raise godly men!  All throughout history and Scripture, having a boy...even more than one boy was considered a huge blessing from God.  How could I not be thankful for another chance to raise a little boy to be a godly leader, husband, dad, friend...?  He brought to mind families and people in my life that only have boys...what respect I have for these ladies!
To name a few:
-My grandmother raised 2 boys- my dad and my uncle, 2 godly, caring and successful men
-My mother-in-law raised 2 boys- my husband and brother in law- 2 godly men that adore their mother and would do anyting for her!
-The Bradley family- mother of 4 boys!- they range from elementary to high school age- I have never seen any more well-behaved boys who love and respect their mother as well as other adults
-The Smith family- mother of 3 boys, ages 5 and under!-she is raising 3 very active boys while her husband is a fire fighter- these boys love their mom and compete over doing things for her and want to be just like their dad!
-Dr. Marr our pastor- 3 sons that love just spending time together as a family and telling stories!
-Kyleen Wright- single mom/President of Texans for Life- raised 4 very respectful and godly boys who love their mom and treat others with great respect!

The thought of Seth having a little brother/best friend could not be more exciting the more I think about it and the more I CHOOSE to be grateful for this blessing! While having 2 sons, He has given me at least one niece that I can love on, what grace! I know it won't be perfect and we will have our share of trips to the ER, messes and fun stories...you name it!  But the privilege of raising 2 healthy sons for the Kingdom of God is such an honor and is what God had planned for us...to die to ourselves!

"Have thine own way Lord,
Have thine own way,
Thou art the Potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
after Thy will, while I am
waiting, yielded and still."

1 comment:

Angela said...

Shelley, I love and appreciate how openly you share your heart in this post. It was a great reminder and also a great encouragment to me in my calling as a mommy to two sweet daughters and a son as I train them up in biblical woman/manhood.
thank you for sharing